For the last few nights, which included our one weekend day, we were able to relax somewhat and engage in some party time. Thursday night we honored King Juan Carlos of Spain and witnessed some Karaoke on the camp, a common Thursday night occurrence. Some of it was actually good. Seeing an old Belgian sing La Bamba and John Denver is one sight, I’ll tell you that much. Friday night was the Croatian Independence Day celebration. I learned a bit about the country and had a spicy beef soup cooked in a huge, traditional, cast-iron vessel on an open fire which was unbelievable. They also served us a couple free beers. Nice guys, the Croats.
Speaking of Belgians, I was invited to the farewell of Chris, the senior Belgian on camp at their National House. There was wine and beer and a wide assortment of cheese and fruit – a very well done little party. After that a few of us hard-chargers in the directorate, meaning us guys in our mid-40’s, settled into a classic movie sent to me by my friends Lynne and Mike. Was it one of the Bogie and Bacall movies they sent me? Not this time, it was Blazing Saddles. Yes, the classic lives and is remembered by those of us still able to enjoy the humor of the great Mel Brooks. We had some chips and dip and laughed harder than we have in a while. It really takes one’s mind off things going on a few hundred yards away.
I’ve prepared for my brief and all is secure for the evening.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
May the good times roll. It seems like you are getting more and more into ethnics and why not? You come from along line-- Most Americans do. Romanians, Hungarians, Latvians, Ukranians, etc. Now you can tell your new Croat friends that your Aunt Marcie's father was a Croat. Marion and I are very par
tial to Belgian butter cookies, also Danish butter cookies. We buy them in bulk from B.J.s
Buy the way how did your foreign friends enjoy American Indians speaking Yiddish? War can be very entertaining--- sometimes!rkfelgqn
New South Brunswick District Policy starting September 2008: Blazing Saddles (or any other Mel Brooks movie) will now be shown to all staff on the first day of school before students arrive. It beats listening to the endless stories and self congratulations from the Administration.
Ithan, thanks for the idea, you are a genius! The comedy continues.
Stay safe,
Karen
I often think of Blazing Saddles, especially when I need to circle the wagons and I’ve got the only wagon. I believe the Indians would let me go, as well.
You didn’t mention what song you chose for the Karaoke. I also have questions for Boris and Natasha. What are you implying? Why don’t the people in Happy Valley ever call their cousins? (Donna would like to know why I don’t ever call my cousins.)
We don't sing, we watch. If they don't have a Herbie, we ain't going. While you are calling your cousins, you could call your sister-in-law and see how her kids are doing.
June 29th,
Hey!! It sounds like all you do is drink and eat, eat and drink. I doubt that it is all fun and games. Soon you will be eating and drinking in NJ.
Blazing Saddles? My grandmother told me about that movie. Any good?
Both of my daughters got skunked out of their summer jobs and are now scrambling to figure it all out. Predictions are that about 2/3 of all teenagers will be unemployed this summer. Protect your borders!
Post a Comment