What a great story by Grandfather and it's amazing I really never heard it before, go figure. I'm responding to comments since I don't have enough cool stuff for a new post yet. I have been busier than ever and will be for some time, probably the rest of the way.
Boris and Natasha, taking time away from getting moose and squirrel to drop a post, awesome. We run around our extremely small base. There is a paved square of road that isn’t too large - these are my kind of laps. I run for a time not a distance since I don’t really know the distance. We can make the run feel like cross country by running on the unpaved portions of the base including some gravel and dirt, but it hurts don’t ya know. We should use our running for niceness instead of evil.
I don't think you'll swing the drug trade with a couple t-shirts Terry, but there are people who would plotz if they knew some stuff I teach about sending aid to developing nations from an environmental perspective.
I spent about an hour or so in Canada House tonight at the invitation of one of the guys I work with. We are about the same age. Canada House is what they call their building that houses their National Support Element. The buildings generally have administrative rooms downstairs and a social room upstairs. We have one, but people don’t socialize there as we are not that tight here as a nation. We use it for the phones, Internet connection, and a bit of TV. They have a party every night, very nice group, the Army of the West. There are a few reasons the US doesn’t bond like the other countries here. One is we are too large in numbers and another is the guy who runs our support element is a piece of work. Our place doesn’t even have a cool name like Canada House, maybe we should use theirs.
I didn’t mention my brief yesterday. During what we call a pre-brief or rehearsal before the Commander comes in, one of the generals really gave it to me on some trivial stuff. The more experienced guys who do this every day spoke to me after and said I handled it well and that he goes after everyone sooner or later. Well, I got the reputation you would all expect. My general reassured me not to be concerned about that guy and that he’s the only one I need to worry about. Such relief. The best validation was that the Commander liked the presentation exactly how I presented it and it was the information he wanted. All's well until the next battle, which is about daily.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Sounds like you get along with generals like I get along with people named Dean or Chancellor. I always enjoy encounters with them and never mind making a presentation. Perhaps you could tweak their noses at the end of the encounters. However I’m not sure if your training included wax on wax off.
Welcome to Canada EH! Hope you enjoyed Canada House. I'll bet the beer there is better. Hope you got to enjoy some.
Do you remember the first Canadian you were ever introduced to? If you are like me, it was a RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police or Mounty) named Dudley DoRight. I'll bet Boris and Natasha would have no trouble getting Moose and Squarel at Canada House.
Hope you are doing well. I am just trying to catch up on the Blog as I have been quite busy with a new job the last few weeks. Things are good here with everyone just waiting for spring to arrive.
I had a great conversation with my uncle Mel this evening. It is good to hear he is feeling and doing well.
Love from all of your Canadian Cousins. Stay Safe.
Joel, Rose & The Kids
So, I went to Canada House last night and I had a Budweiser and learned a horrible truth (perhaps Sean can confirm) that it is originally a Czech beer, Budvar, with a 700 year tradition. Say it isn't so!
Ah yes, Dudley DoRight. Was he in the same cartoonset as Savoir-Faire? Savoir-Faire is everywhere! Perhaps he was Quebecois, and we all know about them.
Ithan,
Sadly, this is so...there was a court case that Bud had to settle as the name was lifted directly from that Czech beer. Needless to say, the original actually tastes like beer, whereas Bud (US) is a beer-flavored beverage. [This from someone who's been known to quaff anything beer-flavored].
That being said, savoir-faire is everywhere!
Sean
Speaking of Bud, when I was in grad school, I took an entire semester course on YEAST, of all things. (Okay, okay. I'm a geek) Anyway, we spent quite a bit of time talking about beer and our professor told us that "Beechwood-aged" Bud was actually produced by them throwing a bunch of wooden 2x4's into the mix. Don't know if it's true or not, but I like the story.
We also went on a field trip to the old Pabst brewery near that big cemetery off the Garden State Parkway. At the time, all workers were ALLOWED to drink as much beer as they wanted during the work day. This apparently prevented a lot of theft from the storage facilities. And this IS a true story!
Speaking of beer. Newark,NJ was a beer center because it had the best water (from the South Mountain Reservoir). Next to oil refineries we had beer! Pabst, Ballantines, Trommers, Feigenspan, Budweiser, all the good ones! I rememder every night (late) my grandfather came home with a cold quart of Trommers beer and he and my mother finished it off before they went to bed!
My grandfather was Hoboken-born (and a WWII vet like yourself.) Besides Ballantines, he used to talk about R&H beer from Newark. He said he loved it, though he knew that some people called it Rotten & Horrible.
Ithan, hopefully you're able to score something better than Rotten & Horrible...and not like the beer they referred to in "Good Morning Vietnam" that used formaldehyde to boost the alcohol content..."Sir, in my heart, I know I'm funny."
Sean
Post a Comment