When a bunch of military guys get together to eat three times a day, the conversation can range from philosophical and intelligent all the way down to pure bathroom humor. Here is part of a conversation, verbatim, I had with Carey tonight. A 6'4'' 275 lb black guy from Tennessee, he is in one of the bazaar pictures posted earlier.
Carey: Where are the Three Stooges from?
Ithan: I don't know for sure. I do know that they are Jewish.
Carey: No! Really? All of them?
Ithan: Yep.
Carey: That's meshuge.
Good thing I wasn't drinking milk at the time. That was the intelligent part of our conversation, it went downhill from there. To balance it all out, we're going to watch a Dolemite film in the theatre tonight.
I had the opportunity to sit in for our General yesterday as he was stuck in another city with no flights available. As our story goes, you may remember our deputy was stuck as well in a different city. Interesting sitting in at meetings with a bunch of one and two star generals around. Believe it or not, they didn't look to me too much for comment. I almost had my first high visibility media conference today since neither of them was available. It would have been me and a two star being asked questions by a group of European journalists who were not expected to be too friendly. In a solid example of diplomacy and raw common sense, they cancelled my part. Another international incident avoided.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
Okay, dropped off the net for several weeks due to problems with my account/password. Kathy hooked me right up with the corrective action but it took me a while to execute her instructions and get back in and then I spent several more nights reading to catch up with all the posts I missed.
While the benefit of being able to reassure ourselves daily that you are okay by reading your blog is key, the entertainment factor is not to be discounted. I fear I'm missing a lot of the movie quotes, however. I guessed at the Airplane reference and appreciated the Pulp Fiction bit, but I'm sure I'm only scratching the surface. Doesn't the teacher in you want to post the answers the next day so we can check our work and see how many we got right?
Every day before they start school, Michelle has the kids say a prayer for you, your new comrades there, Greg H., and all the rest of our guys downrange.
Stay safe.
Bill
Who'd have thought the European Press to be so omniscient?
Just don't mention global warming.
Thanks for the prayer, no doubt it helps. I'd have to go back on so many movie quotes I wouldn't know where to start, but my brother started one with timeouts that I complemented with the having respect bit, both from a low-level film called Necessary Roughness. Airplane! and Pulp were the last ones. I really like the coffee thing. I just got some intel that our Commander likes John Wayne - he's not gonna know what hit him come Sunday (we'll see what I come up with).
Omniscient, yeah, now what is that?
A marine I work with just got back from a trip to another city and met with Greg for some time on business (he knew we know each other). Greg is doing well in a very challenging job. If I think something is difficult here or if I want to complain, I just think I could have easily had his orders.
as a result of a prior post, is it ok if we send some of Sami's hand me downs so you can give them to the kids, that way they can be better dressed to go to school.
Just a thought.
Keep up the good work.
Marion and I just returned from 2 days in A/C for our once a month gambling and a show. The show was "42nd Street" an old classic show and movie from MY parents time. At least 5 of the songs in it made the HIT PARADE. Try that on your generals! I only lost about $5 gambling for 2 days which is like wining $200. We ate at The Palm so Aaron made some money too.
Carey sounds like some Kind of Guy! Could he play tackle for the Steelers? You should use him as your bodyguard instead of those two kids. I would keep him near at all times.
Bill Sherer touched me to the quick with his words. He and Michelle have always been among my favorites. "From his children's mouths to God's Ears"
Your JAH sounds better every day. You may eventually know what it really are!!
I'm sure that with all of your experience sitting in with the big guys, you'll be asked by our admin to chair some of our more popular committees.
Maybe you could be Chair of the AP Committee? I know how much you enjoyed those fruitful meetings in A212
Only because Carey asked.
The Horowitz brothers are from Newark.
That's Shemp, Moe and Curly (aka, Samuel, Morris, and Jerome)
Larry Fine is from Philly.
woo, woo, woo
S cuz: The Stooges drew you to post, but my earlier Rascals material didn't? Aw rasberries. I gave your post a double-doh.
I thought they were from the area, but wasn't sure. Nyuck, Nyuck.
I never knew their name was Horowitz. I remember, in one of their episodes, someone saying "Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard" For some reason, my sisters and I thought this was very funny. What about "Joe", the "fifth Beatle"? I mean, Stooge?
By the way, I was reading an article in the NEA (no, not NRA) Today magazine about gangs. It said that the officer doing the presentations to North Jersey teachers actually received a photograph of American gang graffiti in Afghanistan. Can you comment on that?
American gang graffiti in the stan. It seems so amusing, I don't even know what to think. I get a lot of news here, but I must have missed that one. What are they going to do? There's a war on. I'm going to ask around though.
Ithan cuz:
Kept tryin' to post earlier and couldn't break through my computer. It felt as though I'd fallen in the well.
Well, well.
Thanks Dad for offering my hand me downs. Good thing I keep my clothes in excellent condition. Those kids would be best dressed in school and not even know it!
Post a Comment