Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Kuwait

Our flight reservations out of Bagram were lost somehow, which was completely expected. We signed up for Space Available for the next flight out to Kuwait. A flight leaving at 0300 Tuesday morning with a midnight "show time" popped up and we were able to get on that flight. That was great news. We flew overnight in a C-17 in jumpseats against the wall of the plane with cargo in front of us. Good Times. We arrived safely in Kuwait on Tuesday morning and just took a shuttle bus to another place in Kuwait where we will wait to go through Warrior Transition on Monday. Therefore, we have a few days to relax and enjoy some ammenities on base. The most important thing is to sleep and eat. We deserve it. I'm with a couple friends here, so no worries there and this place is safe.

For the day in Bagram, we were able to have dinner with an old friend of ours from Combat Training, Rich the IRS Executive. Great seeing him.

We are staying in tents here with about 8 per tent. The temps are around 120 I think, but I'm not keeping track. I'm reading and gettting some Internet time in spite of extremely slow connections.

Shout out to my nephew Jake who has a birthday today - 22. Also Stacey and I missed our 5th anniversary ten days ago. It is the fifth one in a row I missed due to navy responsibilities. She is taking it like a champ.

Please mark Sunday, Aug 24 on your calendars. We are going to have a Welcome Home party at our house. I hope you can all make it. Details to follow. That's it for now. I'll be in touch.

7 comments:

SCannon said...

Just bought my new academic calendar for the year...consider the 24th booked on account of a returning Vet. Continue a safe trip home and will see you then.

Sean

Terry said...

Dear Ithan, I just bought my academic calendar as well. However, I'll bet Cannon has more social engagements filled in than I do.
I'll be coming home from the summer in Blue Mtn. I will see you on the 24th!!
Enjoy.
Terry

KK said...

Ithan,
Great news. August 24th will be quite a celebration. Academic Calendar aside.....Summer Assignments await.
See you soon,
Karen

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the photos and cant wait to see more. We will have to have a sleep over in the fall, that would be me sleeping over your house like we did a few times before you left.

I am going this weekend to stay with Stacey, Aaron and Alyssa this weekend as her mom and my mom are both away. Should be fun! Glad you are on your way home!!!!

JRothfuss said...

It's fabulous to hear that you have left Afghanistan and are on your way home!!!!!! Can't wait to see you! Take good care in the meantime.
Jane

Dr. Murphy said...

So glad you´re on your way back. see you soon!

grandfather said...

Somehow or other I was not able to get your blog on my computer but Stacey copied it and sent it through E-mail to me. I still can't get it directly.
I can't wait for the 24th so that I can get to meet and really spend some time with the wonderful people who regularly supported you through the last six months. Great folks.