Saturday, July 26, 2008

Pictures

The above picture of me and Paul. He is the Canadian I talk about a lot. We are at the Queen's Palace with the King's Palace in the background.


If I knew what I was doing, I would have rotated this one before posting. So tilt your head and you will see some of the countryside through a blown-out windo area from the Queen's Palace. I understand this was not the handy-work of the former USSR, but came after during the civil war. The people here did it themeselves. We still see today insurgents who have no respect for their national treasures. We see it way too much.


Ditto on the rotation, but it took too long to load these up for me to worry about it now. I'm sure you'll all manage. This is the facade of the Queen's Palace from where we parked (that's our vehicle with Ron getting in). By the way, this is not a tourist attraction. It is "guarded" by some of the army - more on that when I get home. The palace is deserted and in almost complete shambles. I'll show more pictures when I get home.



We took a ten minute drive up to another off-limits place, the old Russian Officer's Club. I have some pictures of it. That is one of the palaces in the background, King's I believe. I am here with one the local army sentries. Nice guy, I guess.

Don't know how my posting will be in the near future as I hope to be on the road, but I should have some computer access as I did when I was on my way over.

5 comments:

grandfather said...

Boy Ithan you look Tough! I'm going to worry that you are going to scare little Alyssa when you get home. You won't scare Aaron though. He's pretty tough too. He also knows how to hide behind his mammy but she can't save him from you and me!
Stacey tells me Alyssa is smiling and cooing and talking in her own little way. She seems to be getting some real personality in her young age! We haven't seen her in a little while now but I hear her sometimes making noises when I'm on the phone with Stacey.
Great pictures, talk to yaz later.

SCannon said...

Ditto your Dad's comments. With your camo look honed, perhaps you'll try out for a spot in the upcoming remake of that classic movie from the 80's "Red Dawn"...yes, that "Red Dawn"

Riggle Family said...

We're here with Jennifer and family in Maine after some backpackiing and decided we all needed to respond. Happy Anniversary; we are stockpiling your gifts for when we see you.
Mitch, Donna, and Stephanie

Hi Ithy Cuz,

It's been great to read your blogs, and we always think of you, even though we have not written comments back. So glad you are returning to the states soon! Hopefully, we'll get to see you, Stacey, Aaron and Alyssa . . .

Much love and safe travels back,
Jennifer, Blaine (and Matt and Alec).

msgcpa said...

I am impressed, stay safe, that barbed wire looks scary.
BTW Tabas qualified for nationals in jump and all around, he is now ranked #6 nationally. I will be going to west palm to watch in mid august... interested??
Looking forward to seeing you soon.

KK said...

Ithan,
Wishing you a safe and speedy return.
Karen