Tomorrow after dinner we'll go into lock down after going through customs. I understand they are are real jerks when it comes to customs and we are not looking forward to it. After that, we wait around for many, many hours to board our flight. Lots of waiting, but we'll manage. Honestily, I don't think we are treated that well regarding travel. It was hell getting this far. I'll have my combat pillow with me though for rest and relaxation.
Today we have an afternoon filled with seminars designed to integrate us into the world again. We are so excited.
Yesterday was gear turn-in. That went rather well. It went relatively fast and we got rid of all our combat and field-related gear, at least 75% of which we never used. We also did our last cleaning of our weapons and turned those in. I'll miss Roxanne.
We'll fly overnight back to the States and then have follow-on flights to our processing sites. Therefore, we won't have normal sleep for two days. Why it has to be this way is a long story, but we are not allowed comfort or convenience if it costs the government money. The irony is that a little comfort/convenience would cost almost nothing and most of us can't figure out the logic of our travel itinerary anyway.
Our decompression phase (R&R type stuff) is going well. I think I mentioned we watch movies and went to the pool and eat. Reminds me a bit of my Boy's Weekend vacations to Puerto Rico with the guys. Maybe not. Yesterday though turned into game day for the guys. We played Yahtzee, Trivial Pursuit, and then a Risk marathon. Add in Mahjongg and Bridge and we are ready for senior citizenry. It was all fun though. In case you were all wondering, naturally I won big in Trivial Pursuit.
That's about it for now from Kuwait. Hope to keep some updates coming as we round the Clubhouse turn into the Homestretch.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I knew Trivial Pursuit would come in handy. You had excellant training. You must remember the games we had in Lake George on Zimmer family weekends. I believe you were usually on MY team. We also had Uncle Sanf's team and Cousin Don's team. The competition was fierce! I don't remember who won most of the time but I'm sure Cousin Don won the fight after!
Ithan,
Sorry I've been remiss in posting lately...been at Summer Leadership doing negotiations training. Learned much, though I won't be on the Negotiations Team this round.
Why Roxanne? I'll have to talk to my AP Psych colleagues to see if there's a deep-seated reason for the name. As for Trivial Pursuit, you should be wiping the floor with your opponents. You're the Grandmaster of Everything Trivial.
Safe flight...look forward to reading your next posts from Norfolk.
Sean
Roxanne, you don't have to leave the red light...
Scrabble tournaments here. In fact i just ran home for lunch before resuming play at the beach.
Trivial Pursuit- I would be silent. I'm evn bad at scrable.
Happy traveling.
Terry
Sorry to hear about the crazy travel plans and the lack of sleep that is coming your way, but maybe if you look at it as a re-orientation back into daily life with a 3 year old and a 3 month old, it won't seem so bad! Actually, I hear Aaron took to his big boy bed like Mario Andretti (was that his name?) and that Alyssa is sleeping well also. But life with kids can keep you on your toes...just when you think you have a routine and you've figured something out, they go and change it up on you. So who knows? You might need that sleep deprivation training after all. In any case, can't wait to hear you are home! Love,
Jane
Ithan,
You are obviously closer to being a civilian again. You thought the travel and sleep plans should make sense and be economic. Remember, you are still in the Navy.
Leland
Post a Comment