Saturday, February 9, 2008

It's Time

In a few hours we'll be loading up the busses with no sleep, taking the ride to the airport and catching the charter to Kuwait via Bangor for fuel and Ireland for beer. There is no alcohol allowed where we are going, thank goodness for the Irish. They don't allow porn over there either, no wonder they have the problems they do.

I was eating lunch with the priest and the teacher from Trenton today, so then a horse walks in and I say, "Why the long face..." Anyway, the teacher and I were discussing how surreal this is. We're just herding to the next stop. Dinner was finished about an hour or so ago, our last meal here at lovely Camp McCrady of Fort Jackson, SC. The dining facility served some good food, no complaints in that department. I think I actually put on a few pounds.

I'm not a big fan of flying. I have an ipod, which I am looking forward to using for the flight and hopefully I'll be able to sleep. We're all wondering how the logistics are going to work once we get there. Everyone has four seabags, plus a back pack and a weapon case. It's a lot of stuff to move and be responsible for. Living in a tent for close to two weeks in the desert will be an experience. We sleep on the ground at the Udairi range using the "sleep system" we received. It is an extremely warm double sleeping bag and about the best ground cloth possible, no water is getting through it. We also have an air mattress. The weather reports look good, should be in the high 70s during the day and the low 50s at night. Not bad at all. I understand the range training is useful and takes things further than we did here.

We'll see how the Internet service is over there. With any luck, I'll be able to keep everyone informed and not have to fight for a computer at the Internet Cafe. As always, thank you for your support.

1 comment:

Riggle Family said...

Hello Ithan:

We have been reading your blog with great interest. Congratulations on your graduation. It sounds like it has been quite an experience.

Three out of the 4 Riggles were very disappointed with the Super Bowl. Jen did a little 'victory dance' out of sight of the boys. She is a good mother.

Take care of yourself and we are looking forward to reading more.

Blaine, Jen, Matt & Alec