Sunday, February 3, 2008

Prison Break

My friend Paul and his family broke me out of here on Saturday afternoon for a day in Columbia spent at the zoo. I have known Paul since elementary school, which I think makes him my longest acquaintance. Paul is a Lt Colonel in the Air Force and his military comment on the looks of our base was, "This is depressing." Paul, Becky, Cammie, Maddie, Erin, and I found our way out from the deep dark woods and banjo playing of Camp McCrady/Fort Jackson to signs of civilization in the state capital of Columbia. We went to Riverbanks Zoo and it was the perfect place for our group. We got to see everything in the time we had including a seal show and penquin presentation and then proceeded to dinner. With many restaurant choices, we settled on Five Guys. Those of us in the DC area and other points south are well aware of the Zagat rated cuisine. Burgers and grease salted with more fries than one can eat. Good stuff.

Friday was a good day except for the rain in the morning. At least we all learned that a rifle can be drenched and magazine coated with mud and it will still fire. We went to the range called "Bastogne" aptly named for the WWII locale and the Battle of the Bulge. We shot all the heavy weapons: 50 cal (very large tripod mounted machine gun), M240 and M249B machine guns(Rambo's choice), and the M19 grenade launcher. Everyone walks away with a smile on their face, it is an experience. We then did reflexive shooting like we did before with a handgun, standing, kneeling, shooting from around barricades, etc. The last exercise was a stress shoot where we exit from a humvee in all our gear (not that easy), run with the weapons (in spite of mom's age-old warning about running with loaded weapons) and shoot from positions around barricades.

Three more days of real training focussing on convoy and urban tactics. I wonder if our company will ever get to do the orienteering. If not, I am going for a walk in the woods anyway. We are unsure of what we are doing on Thursday and Friday, but I know we all have a lot to pack and to send home via UPS.

I'm sure most of you are preoccupied with the Super Bowl. People are here too. It is a depressing day for the Steelers fans as we reminisce about what could have been. I suppose I'll be supporting the Giants today like the other 95% of America. I know my cousins will be glued to the TV, or perhaps they are at the game???

6 comments:

msgcpa said...

you'll be glad to know your sister isn't at the game, because she is at the Beverly Hill hotel relaxing while her husband is busy doing tax season work.
And if you think you have it tough, we almost didn't have turn down service last night... which means no cookies at the bedside in addition to other related deprivations.
Good news is I took care of it with the universal cure... $$$
Stay safe
MG

grandfather said...

Isn't it great that you got to spend time with Paul and his family and that he could find a way to bring the two of you together again, if only for an afternoon.
I remember the both of you on your first little league baseball team. Paul's father and I put the team together because the assigned coach couldn't be there until the actual playing started. When it did he took over and we were only allowed to watch. He didn't let either of us have anything to say. We were both a little upset to say the least!
Anyway I drove through Columbia,S.C. once. If I remember correctly it was a nice small city. I was most interested in seeing the University of South Carolina. They have the same colors as Penn. Red And Blue. But I don't think they sing "The Royal Red and Blue" And I am also sure they don't sing "Hang Jeff Davis From A Sour Apple Tree" either!

Anonymous said...

Hi Uncle Ithan,
I am sorry that your internet is not connecting. If I asked my IT department to help you do you think they would be able to? I dont know if they will do it, but its worth a shot to ask if you think they can help.

Glad to see that you are shooting big guns and running with them. That makes me kind of nervous and the fact that everyone is smiling after.

Anyway, I know you called when I was at your house with Stacey, Aaron and my friend Jen on Saturday, but we had lots of fun. Jen loved him of course, who couldnt! Aaron is just too cute, he was very shy at first but then he was so sad to see me leave. I told him I was going bye bye and he said no. It was very funny and he came running to give me a hug good bye. Jen and I were at your house until a little after 7 so Stacey had company for a while into the evening. She actually looks pregnant!! I was excited for her.

Not too much is going on with me, been dating here and there, no one interesting and I have been working of course. I still love my job! But I better get back to the job, so talk to you soon.

xo
Sami

grandfather said...

Sami is the best and don't you forget it!

Joel G said...

Hey Cuz,
Sorry it took me so long to get into the blog. All caught up now, but can't place all these movie quotes. Whatever you do, don't ask the banjo player if you can dance with his date. "He's" got bad teeth.
Rose, Jacob, Stephanie, Amanda and Christian all send their love and best for a safe and quick journey.
Sounds like your getting some good training. Use it to stay safe.
Hope you enjoyed Sunday's game as much as us Gints fans.
Be well and stay safe.
Love,
Joel

Bill Sherer said...

Okay, maybe everybody already knows this except me, but what is your assignment going to be when you arrive in-country? Are you allowed to tell us what base you'll be on and what you will be doing?